Saturday 30 July 2011

Chocolate con churros

Undoubtedly one of Spain’s more famous sweet exports, chocolate con churros (long, thin Spanish donuts with hot chocolate) is probably why you would seek out a beautifully sleek cafe by the name of Chocolateria San Gines (between Sol and Opera Metro stations).


I’ve tried this dish in several other locations outside of Spain and I must say this has set the benchmark in my books. The churros are reasonably light and above of crispy on the outside, and not too sweet. But the real differentiator for me was the chocolate itself. I expected it to be like hot chocolate you’d normally drink at home, very sweet, creamy and not very thick. This embodiment was almost like a chocolate dipping sauce, though only subtly sweet, with the cocoa beans really being allowed to show their soothing overtones, and not overpowering the churros themselves. In true Madrid fashion, this place opens late, and I’d recommend it as a post-tapas pre-clubbing chillout spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment