Sunday 14 August 2011

You're lucky if you live near this place


Saturday mornings (and lunchtimes) don’t get much better than this. The Ferry Plaza Farmers market offers a few wholesome and downright tasty treats which I wish I could get my hands on more often. Let me start with Hapa ramen’s big daddy bowl of ramen complete with slow-cooked pork and chicken katsu cutlet. What really makes a good ramen (and any other noodle soup for that matter) is the broth. And indeed this was very, very good. Salty, sweet, gelatinous and soothingly addictive all at the same time, this really brought all which lay within it to life.


That was my breakfast. Now on to lunch. First stop, Namu for some of its famed Korean tacos. Different to the original LA-based creations of Kogis, these really did impress me. On a square of dried seaweed lies rice, diced short rib (kalbi) and a daikon and kimchi salsa which does certainly show that well-conceived fusion can work.


My next pit-stop was driven by wafts of caramelising chicken skin, enhanced by the aroma of rosemary, filling the air of the farmers market. Roli roti was the cause of this hunger-inducing scent, and, despite being a bit full, I had to check it out. I went for the classic combo of ¼ chicken and rosemary-roasted potatoes. And, as my nose had correctly indicated, the taste did not disappoint. I could’ve eaten a whole bowl of this skin. Crispy, crunchy, charcoal-infused, caramelised, rosemary studded, the list of adjectives could go on.


And if you can’t make it to the market on Saturday, it’s also around on Tuesday and Thursday lunchtimes, as those lucky financial district workers know all too well. Failing that, there’s the Ferry building itself, where at Boccalone, with their slogan of “tasty salted pig parts”, offers a quality sandwich of pulled pork and pickled spicy peppers by the name of The Mess Piggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment