Sunday 29 January 2012

Pork in all its glory

Thong Lo Soi 38 is a mix n match of excellent Thai street food stalls (note this is far away from the Sao Ching Cha area), often frequented by clubbers looking for their fill. My favourite without doubt is this shop doing a superb pork noodle soup.



It has an English menu, so it’s not hard to order their yellow noodles with crispy and roasted pork. The broth is saltyly moreish with a hint of sweetness from pork bones, and the crispy pork, well is self explanatory. The clever addition of Chinese celery adds a deliciously refreshing hit to round off a superb bowl of noodles.

At that time, even this outstanding bowl of noodles didn’t quite satisfy my hunger for more pork; so I nosily peered inside to see what else was on offer. Standing before me lay a huge pot containing a pork stew of all the flavour-packed offcuts, whose aromas were just too enticing, so I asked for a small bowl. The stew was incredibly rich and yet so incredibly good, and the meat that lay within was unctuously tender. Based on this, I’d say it’s worth being nosey every now and again.



Nearby, also on Soi 38, you’ll find a stall which does so called award-winning Phat Thai. I tried a bit of their Phat Thai Goong, and whilst it’s a pretty good rendition, I’d still say there’s room for improvement.



No comments:

Post a Comment